Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Reading Diary A: Ovid's Metamorphoses (Books 5-7)

This is a Reading Diary that details my thoughts of the second section of  from "Ovid's Metamorphoses" in books 5-7 translated by Tony Kline (2000). 


  • I never thought of this legend in the way it's presented here.  Since Venus is the goddess of love she thinks having the god of the underworld fall in love will help her spread her dominion.  That's actually very sneaky. 
  • I know that Persephone's kidnapping is supposed to have a huge affect on Ceres.  But I love how this text describes how this grief is having a physical affect on her as well.  That makes perfect sense because eventually she'll grossly affect the entire world's harvest.  
  • Who is Aurora in Roman mythology? 
  • I never really thought that Dis would be Jupiter's son-in-law even though they are brothers... weird. 
  • Interesting that in this version the Dis doesn't give the virgin the pomegranate.  She finds it on her own.
  • Awww too bad there's no Hermes.  
  • I never thought of Persephone being the Queen of two worlds before this.  
  • Minerva is always shape shifting... 
  • Poor Niobe this is just too much
  • I love that the goddess embraced living in the swamp forever. 
  • And I guess not everyone loves music...
 (Hades and Persephone from Daily Mythologies.)

No comments:

Post a Comment