Monday, September 7, 2015

Famous Last Words for Week 2

Today is Labor Day.  I can't believe it's only week 2 and I'm so relieved that labor day is here.  I really need to get back into the swing of things soon or else I'll have a really difficult semester.  It turns out Senior Year is going to be much more difficult than what I initially expected. 

I spent the weekend with my family and drove home on Friday.  I have just been hanging out, shopping, chilling by the pool and vicariously living through people's Snapchats on game day.  It was a tough decision for me to miss OU football's season opener but I ultimately decided to hang out with my parents.  (I must actually be growing up because I definitely would not have made this decision a few years ago.)

One almost catastrophic moment did occur on Saturday though.  For some reason we forgot that the OU game was pay-per-view and realized as it was starting that we wouldn't be able to watch it.  My dad even searched through all of our pay-per-view channels trying to buy it last minute but for some reason it just wasn't there!  So we ended up going to a packed sports bar to watch it there.  Although that seemed to make the experience even better because we were watching the game in an excited atmosphere.  Even if I was by far the youngest person in the room. 

The rest of the weekend was filled with homework however.  Sometimes I feel like homework is the Hydra of Lerna.  This is the mythological creature that grows two more heads every time one is cut off.  Two more assignments sprout up just when you think you're done working on homework for the weekend.  Can Hercules just come help me get some assignments done? 

(Artwork by John Singer Sargent in 1921 from Wikipedia.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love the idea of Hydra-as-Homework, Jenny! That is so funny. There's this proverb in Latin: "Amico Hercule," which means "With (the help of) Hercules, my friend." Everybody needs a Hercules to get their homework done, ha ha. Very nice! I feel that way too sometimes. :-)

    Meanwhile, that Sargent painting is so gorgeous; I am going to go pin that to my Myth-Folklore Board right now!

    ReplyDelete