Monday, August 31, 2015

Reading Diary A: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche



This is a Reading Diary that details my thoughts of the first section of "The Story of Cupid and Psyche" from The Golden Ass written by Aphuleius and translated by Tony Kline. 
  • I did not expect this story to start at all how it did with the woman being kidnapped.  Not the typical beginning to a fairy tale!!
  • You don't hear a lot of stories where no one will marry the incredibly beautiful girl.  
  • Just like gods in Greek mythology they are often jealous of humans.  
  •  It's so strange how different pop culture versions of characters can vary.  Typically Cupid is depicted as a baby shooting love arrows but in the source material he is a handsome young man.  Reminds me of how Frankenstein's monster is so different in pop culture too!  
  •  Yeah I don't know how I'd deal with the news that I'd have a fatal marriage and couldn't have a mortal child "but a cruel savage, serpent-like winged evil" child.  
  •  All I could picture during the scene where she enters the palace was Cogsworth and Lumiere being there.  This really is similar to "Beauty and The Beast."  
  •  Now I kinda wish Belle had sisters.  
  • Nevermind now they sound like Cinderella's stepsisters.  
  • Zephyr = Lumiere 
  • "Thus, without knowing it, Psyche fell further in love with Love himself."  Love this quote.  
  • Nothing good seems to happen to Psyche.
  •  
  •  (Psyche and Cupid from Deviant Art.)

No comments:

Post a Comment