Saturday, August 22, 2015

My Favorite Place

This past summer I experienced many things while studying abroad in Spain, and one of them was discovering my new favorite place, Alcalá de Henares!  This a beautiful city about thirty minutes outside of Madrid and where I lived with a wonderful Spanish family for the entire month of June.  
(Personal photo taken of town square in Alcalá de Henares, Spain in June 2015.)

Most of you are probably unfamiliar with this city, but it's amazing!! I feel like it's a hidden treasure of Spain and should be renown for the people, buildings and food.  
(Personal photo taken of town square in Alcalá de Henares, Spain in June 2015.)

This beautiful place is the Plaza de Cervantes, which is named after Miguel de Cervantes the famous author of Don Quixote who was born in Alcalá de Henares.  There are tons of Don Quixote influences sprinkled throughout the city and Cervantes is often called the "Spanish Shakespeare".  Below is a picture of me and my friends with Don Quixote and Sancho Panza statues. 

(Personal photo taken in Alcalá de Henares, Spain in June 2015.)
 
I also met so many other great travelers and students during my time in Alcalá de Henares.  This trip definitely gave me a bite from the travel bug because now all I want to do is plan trips and there's so many places to see.  I don't even know where to start.  Maybe by the end of the semester I'll have a brand new favorite place :) 

(Personal photo taken with friends in Alcalá de Henares, Spain in June 2015.)

1 comment:

  1. WELCOME BACK - and those are such lovely pictures Alcalá de Henares, Jenny — and what a fabulous summer you must have had! Maybe you will want to do a Don Quixote project for class: how cool that would be! There's a great version of Don Quixote that zooms right in on the most famous episodes and stories — you can see that book here:

    Stories of Don Quixote by J. Baldwin

    I am excited to see what stories will grab your attention this semester!

    ReplyDelete