Saturday, August 29, 2015

Growth Mindset

Before this assignment, I had never heard of Carol Dweck or the Growth Mindset.  But now I really wish I had because I feel like this should be something the public should be talking about to implement in our school systems. 

During school if I ever had to take tests, I definitely had a fixed mind set.  Math and science didn't come easy to me, so often times I thought I was dumb if I didn't understand the material.  However, in my history and English classes I never really thought of myself as dumb because I put in much more effort to try and understand rather than just be tested.  I also think I had a "not yet" mindset when it came to writing papers. 

I used to have terrible test takers anxiety.  But since being at OU I've become so much more calm when taking tests and my test grades have improved.  I think I did go on to adopt a "not yet" mentality instead of feeling down on myself when I didn't get a desired score.  I really like this mentality because even though grades are super important, they don't measure who you are as a person.  How a person deals with disappoints and frustrations is far more important and the growth mindset relates with that ideal quite a bit. 

I'm very interested in learning more and I kind of wish this was implemented on me in elementary school.  I truly think it could have made a difference. 

I really do like your suggested assignments for the growth mindset, but a lot of them look to be pretty time consuming and that's the main thing I'm worried about if I do them. 

I'm in my final Spanish class this semester so I really want to expand my knowledge on the language as much as I can.  I'm worried that only going to that class and speaking Spanish twice a week is not enough!! 
(Meme created by Laura Gibbs with photo provided by Robert Lowe from Growth Mindset Memes)

No comments:

Post a Comment