Thursday, August 27, 2015

Storybook Favorites

Mermaid Maiden: I love the description and imagery in the introduction.  It really does paint a picture and set up the story, and the scenery sounds absolutely gorgeous!  I like that the story was written by a third-person omniscient narrator.  It really helps establish some of the background and context effectively.  I can tell from the Author's Notes that they took inspiration from many different tales about mermaids.  She did a great job researching the source material.  Not gonna lie, I was pretty bummed by the ending.  There was so much build up for nothing to happen in the end.  Don't be a tease!! However, I really did find the image that she used below very breathtaking.

(Image from the Mermaid Maiden storybook from Deviant Art.)

The Journey of Don Quixote: I automatically was drawn to this storybook after my study abroad experience in Alcala de Henares, Spain.  And it even had a picture from the town I lived in for a month!!!  I thought it was very creative how the author combined Harry Potter, Katniss Everdeen, Bella Cullen and Christian Grey to tell the stories of Don Quixote.  This is something that I hadn't seen anyone else do and it's a great way to represent their storybook because everyone is familiar with at least one of these characters.  I love how this is all at a festival and the characters are all speakers.  Kudos for creativity.  

LSD in a Yellow Submarine: As I'm a HUGE Beatles fan I was instantly curious about this storybook and I loved how they started their introduction stating how wild their theme is.  The Beatles loved history and stories often inspired them to write songs, so I just love the topic of the storybook.  It's genius that the author combined a Persian tale and Tejas legend with the Beatles.  I really wish the storybook was longer!! I feel like there's just so much to expand on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment