Thursday, November 12, 2015

Storytelling for Week 12: Britomart the Brave


I trudged onward, clicking my heels constantly to coax more speed out of my horse.  The grass was like a sea of green rapidly flowing past me as I galloped across the land.  This will all be worth it in the end.  

Suddenly I caught sight of my nemesis.  The Savage Knight was across the way with his horned helmet and all-black armor.  He charged at me with full speed and I braced myself for impact.  Our eyes locked and I gestured crudely at him to bring forth his best shot.  He had no idea about my enchanted spear and as he charged, I swiftly knocked him from his horse and onto the ground.  But our fight was not over yet. 


The Savage Knight was not shaken up and he quickly knocked me down from my own horse so we were once again on even terms.  He drew his sword, as did I and our blows were met with evenly matched rebuttals.  After a time, I grew tired.  My arm felt as though it could not even lift my sword let alone strike with it.  The Savage Knight gathered his strength and dealt a stiff strike that surely could have ended me. 


I fell back as my helmet flew off my head, revealing to the Savage Knight and his squire that I was the Princess Britomart in disguise.  The Savage Knight stood before me to deliver a finishing blow, but when we met eyes his sword instantly fell from his hands.  I seized this opportunity and grabbed his sword, intent on finishing him off before his sympathy faded. 


Pushing him down with the base of the sword I stood before him.  "Finish this fight or I will finish you off," I beckoned the savage.  However, he would not move.  He stayed on the ground and would not rise.  I grew angry since I now would not get a chance to finish him off gloriously, but he refused to fight me because I am a woman.


The Savage Knight then took off his helmet and revealed himself to be no savage but the renown Sir Artegall.  This struck me personally because I had seen his face once before in Merlin's Mirror when I asked it who would be my true love.


And just like that, I reached the goal of my quest without even realizing it.  I set out two years ago to find the man in the mirror and here he stood right before me.  Words failed me because how do you address the future love of your life after almost just killing him in a sword fight?


"It is nice to finally meet you, Sir Artegall."   


(Britomart by Tyrannosaurus-lex from Deviant Art.)
  
Author's Note:  I was so excited to write this story because I became a big fan of the heroine after the readings.  Britomart the warrior princess is so cool and I wish there was a movie or something about her.  If you're slightly confused, the source material has her traveling around the lands making friends and even enemies all the while she is looking for her true love Sir Artegall who she saw in Merlin's enchanted mirror.  They meet after becoming enemies as they were both in disguises and almost kill each other before taking off their helmets and falling in love at first sight.  I just thought this was such a cool story and wanted to write my own version of it.  There was no dialogue so that was a little tough but I ended up adding a couple of lines.  I'm also obsessed with this picture I found.  I think this really captures the awesome main character!!  

Bibliography: Fairie Queen: Britomart unit. Story source: Stories from the Faerie Queene by Mary Macleod, with drawings by A. G. Walker (1916).


4 comments:

  1. Hello again, Jenny. I enjoyed reading your story. It is pretty cool and random that they met and almost killed each other when they had been looking for one another for quite a long time. Random things like that happen all the time in life where one small change could change the entire outcome of the situation. Great job writing this story and explaining the background in your notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such an interesting story. Great details to start off with explaining her adventure. I liked the dialogues that you added, as dialogues help to convey better descriptions to the readers. I didn't see the ending coming while I was reading this, which was great. I didn't find any error in your story, which is always nice. Great job on telling your version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenny,
    Great storytelling! I like that you added so many details in your story. It helped me connect what I was reading. I have to agree that the dialogue helped the story. The more dialogue you have, the better the connection your readers will make with the characters. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny! I actually did my week 12 story over the same thing! I loved this story too! Britomart is now on of my favorite characters ever! She is so determined and tough! I really was upset during the scene in the reading when she takes him out and then they hate each other. It frustrated me to no end because i definitely "shipped" them so hard. lol! Great job! I love what you did with your story!

    ReplyDelete