Friday, October 2, 2015

Essay: Absense of Tragedy

After completing this week's reading diary over Japanese Fairy Tales (Ozaki), I could draw one major theme from all of the different sections and stories.  If you're a good person, you'll get your rewards eventually. 

Since I grew up on sugared up versions of fairy tales thanks to Disney movies, I was not expecting this when I began reading this week.  From Hase-Hime (who was very Cinderella like) to the Lord Bag of Rice, these characters all got their karmic revenge when it came to the fates of their enemies. 

Speaking of karma, that's another thing that I found interesting.  Although, India and Japan are technically on the same side of the globe, they don't share TOO much in common culturally.  There are similarities but you often link together Japan with other Asian countries if you're tallying up the shared aspects of culture.  That's what I was so interested to see the karmic theme in all the fairy tales.  I've read plenty of Indian Fairy Tales after being in Epics of India last semester and I found the Japanese Fairy Tales to be way more uplifting. 

My overall observation of the readings, is that there was an absence of tragedy for the main protagonist.  And isn't that a good thing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment